Audio Examples LDC Microphone Test - Acoustic Guitars (Chandler REDD, Slate VMS Microphones)

One more set of files. This time, the REDD is in omni mode. Also, on all of these, low contour mode was not engaged.

There's a bit of a curveball on this one. The VMS is the U47 model. I should also note that all VMS files had the intensity at 125% (not 150% as I had previously indicated). This is the default when the mic model is instantiated. 1073 preamp model also on all of them in this thread.

Last edited:
It's difficult because the levels are so quiet just sitting here with headphones on but I'm presuming the top one is the REDD and I really like it in omni, especially on vocals and drums. The other one doesn't sound so different from before.

Yeah, sorry. I didn't really boost levels. Probably should have done that. I'm almost maxing the REDD preamp level on those, and my recording levels were very modest. I'll have another listen and boost them up a bit.

One more set of files. This time, the REDD is in omni mode. Also, on all of these, low contour mode was not engaged.

There's a bit of a curveball on this one. The VMS is the U47 model. I should also note that all VMS files had the intensity at 125% (not 150% as I had previously indicated). This is the default when the mic model is instantiated. 1073 preamp model also on all of them in this thread.

I also presume the top one is the REDD. In my opinion the proximity effect (or standing waves in the room?) is too pronounced. I'm guessing it would sound better a bit further back.

The second sample sounds drastically scooped again with the the high end feeling detached from the rest of the signal and the transients feeding dull and cloudy. Definitely doesn't sound like a U47 to me.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'll try another one further back and see if I can get better results with these.

Another test. Volume all the way on the red, drive mode on. A bit farther back from the mic (2' or so) and mic's are a bit more on the soundhole.

I'm noticing a couple of things here with these last few tests. First, I don't think omni is working as well for me with the REDD in my space. My production room is treated but it's small. I've also got a ceiling cloud that has yet to be installed (cement ceiling), so I think that's factoring into it. Since I normally use SDC's in cardiod on acoustic, it's not a problem, but this is definitely kicking my ass into wanting to get it installed asap.

Cardioid pattern on REDD (drive mode engaged). Farther back from the mic still (2').

D sounds better.

Unless Im mistaken, "C" is again VMS. The top end feels detached from the rest of the source. Same scooped quality from before and the mics and transients don't feel firm and punchy.

This one's a bit more difficult though since the EQ curves sound very different. Apples and Oranges.

There's a bright top thing going on with the strings on one of them in these past few sets. Yes, the EQ curves are very different indeed. I agree.