104 Question - EDM is pretty even in terms of loudness?

Eugene mentioned towards the end that rock music has a lot of ebb and flow, in terms of loudness/gain. That I agree with.

He also mentioned that EDM music is pretty even in terms of loudness/gain. Did I hear him correctly?
If so then that's pretty interesting as I never noticed it, I wonder if it's because dance music requires a pretty constant amount of loudness or else you can't dance to it

sdfalk

VIP Supporting Member

Quoting Eugene (and I agree) "Everything in EDM is heavily compressed, and then automated for even more
Dynamics". IE; Hand-drawn automation.
(I was at the work shop as well ;) )

GodlessDog

Thanks @sdfalk. I think you're touching on a later topic he was talking about where he said EDM is pretty even in terms of loudness.

I recall the part you're mentioning where he said EDM vocals are compressed and the vocal track is drawn out manually, I assume he meant the threshold amount should being drawn out. But I don't recall him saying everything in EDM is compressed. If that's true too I'll experiment it on my tracks

sdfalk

VIP Supporting Member

Thanks @sdfalk. I think you're touching on a later topic he was talking about where he said EDM is pretty even in terms of loudness.

I recall the part you're mentioning where he said EDM vocals are compressed and the vocal track is drawn out manually, I assume he meant the threshold amount should being drawn out. But I don't recall him saying everything in EDM is compressed. If that's true too I'll experiment it on my tracks

Well again...Im quoting him directly