104 Question - EDM is pretty even in terms of loudness?

GodlessDog

Reaction score
Eugene mentioned towards the end that rock music has a lot of ebb and flow, in terms of loudness/gain. That I agree with.

He also mentioned that EDM music is pretty even in terms of loudness/gain. Did I hear him correctly?
If so then that's pretty interesting as I never noticed it, I wonder if it's because dance music requires a pretty constant amount of loudness or else you can't dance to it

Quoting Eugene (and I agree) "Everything in EDM is heavily compressed, and then automated for even more
Dynamics". IE; Hand-drawn automation.
(I was at the work shop as well ;) )

Thanks @sdfalk. I think you're touching on a later topic he was talking about where he said EDM is pretty even in terms of loudness.

I recall the part you're mentioning where he said EDM vocals are compressed and the vocal track is drawn out manually, I assume he meant the threshold amount should being drawn out. But I don't recall him saying everything in EDM is compressed. If that's true too I'll experiment it on my tracks

Thanks @sdfalk. I think you're touching on a later topic he was talking about where he said EDM is pretty even in terms of loudness.

I recall the part you're mentioning where he said EDM vocals are compressed and the vocal track is drawn out manually, I assume he meant the threshold amount should being drawn out. But I don't recall him saying everything in EDM is compressed. If that's true too I'll experiment it on my tracks

Well again...Im quoting him directly

@thug

Amazing questions!! With regards to EDM, due to modern requirements to have everything bricked so loud...dynamics will have to be manually drawn out to maximize every last inch of space in spectrum while still retaining spaciousness and vibe from start to finish. This also includes compressing reverb tails and delays to bring them out/keep them controlled in a mix without having to overdo the "sauce".

Hope that helps!.