Coil Audio Preamps

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still waiting for my 70s. I had no idea it would take so long when I ordered it. Given the current stay at home rules, I could really be putting it to good use. Since there is no onboard V48 power, what are you using to power condenser microphones?

Hi Doug, did you finally get your 70s? What do you think of it?

A year in, still loving those beauties?
I'm still in love with them, and the 286 is my go to preamp on every vocal track. I'm using it with my REDD mic also, instead of the built in preamp. It is a pretty noticable difference, even though the built in preamp is very good.

I'm still in love with them, and the 286 is my go to preamp on every vocal track. I'm using it with my REDD mic also, instead of the built in preamp. It is a pretty noticable difference, even though the built in preamp is very good.
When you have some time, I’ll bring over a pair of 1073’s. Maybe we can shoot them out. I was thinking about tracking some acoustic guitar with the Lewitt 640TS. Could be a fun afternoon. Even more fun if we had a vocalist in the studio!

Hi...I've still never at any point heard them, however Coil and Stager are first on my rundown once I complete all the mics I've been having worked throughout the previous few years! It doesn't help that I've gotten derailed too often with less exorbitant toys to a great extent that are an excessive lot of while adding them up!

full turnkey assembly

Last edited:
I ended up selling the 286 and kept the CA70s. Only because I needed to pay for some other expenses. However, the 70 ended up being a bit more flexible to me, as the negative feedback control allows for a wider range of tonal shaping on the 70, compared with the 286. Both are great.

I’ll probably end up getting another 286 down the road though.

I had an editing session today. All lead vocals (female) done through the Coil 286 and Wunder CM7. Smooth as can be. I need to get another one again now. :laughing: