Coil Audio Preamps

Squawk

Minor irritant. May cause a rash.
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered one of these preamps. I'm pretty excited to shoot it out against the Groove Tubes Vipre.

I'm already saving for a 286, which I'm hoping to shoot out against the Sonic Farm Berliner.

ca_70s_hero_b.jpg

CA70s_A.jpg

Last edited:

Monkey Man

VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats Mr. T!

Hey, thanks for bringing the forum back to life, mate. Yours is the first post here in quite some time.

Squawk

VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try my best Monkey Man! :laughing: Had a busy past couple of months. New place, new studio setup, etc.

Squawk

VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having had this for a couple of weeks now, I can say that I really like the CA-70s. It's very easy to dial in a great sound with the controls. In comparison to the Groove Tubes Vipre that I have here to compare with, I do find the Vipre just a bit bigger and more up front sounding.

Since the Vipre is no longer made, the Coil audio is a great alternative if you are looking for that type of old school big sound from a tube preamp.

Squawk

VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the negative feedback control. Basically they put it on a pot, instead of either having it fixed, or on a switch. If it's turned all the way counter clockwise, NF is off, and you'll get a brighter, more open sound with more harmonics and a bit more gain. Turned clockwise, negative feedback is fed into the circuit, and it's a darker sound, less top end excitement and harmonics. Very useful to quickly dial in a good setting to match your microphone.

Squawk

VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I found is that by adjusting the impedance settings on the Vipre, I was able to somewhat mimic the affect of negative feedback in or out of the circuit on the Coil CA-70s.

I still have a soft spot for the Groove Tubes Vipre. It was the first really good preamp that I purchased when starting out (after the Avalon 737), and it was a lot of cash at the time! That was maybe 18 years ago (damn!) and I still have it.

Monkey Man

VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the negative feedback control. Basically they put it on a pot, instead of either having it fixed, or on a switch. If it's turned all the way counter clockwise, NF is off, and you'll get a brighter, more open sound with more harmonics and a bit more gain. Turned clockwise, negative feedback is fed into the circuit, and it's a darker sound, less top end excitement and harmonics. Very useful to quickly dial in a good setting to match your microphone.
Brilliant!

Thank you, T. :beer: