Audio Examples The Ultimate Rap Vocal Hardware Compressor Shootout - Overview

Squawk

Minor irritant. May cause a rash.
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soundloop member b0se was interested in purchasing an outboard comp. He has kindly provided me with a rap vocal track, which I offered to run through my RETRO 176 for him to hear.

Then I figured, why not get more in depth and make it more interesting? Let's run it through every compressor I have here! Hopefully this will be an interesting thread for people to get an idea of the different sonic signatures that these compressors can impart on rap vocals. I know it will be for me. :agree:

In each of these tests, I will try and be as clear as possible as to what settings I've used, and how each test was done. By all means, if you have suggestions, or feel that my settings were not optimal, let me know and I'll do my best to re-run any specific setting.

Due to my current schedule, as well as the upcoming holidays, I'm going to try and get files up for one compressor per day.

Here's some of the comps that we will be checking out during this experiment. There's a few more not pictured that we will be getting to as well (CL1B, Crane Song Trakker, SSL, RND Portico MBP, BAC 500).

soundloop-rap-comp-shootout.jpg

Last edited:
So pumped for this!

Great collection of comps. Not envious at all ;)