SSL UF8 DAW Control Surface!

It seems to me that this is aimed squarely at competing with the Avid S1, in terms of price point and target market.

As someone who recently traded my Nucleus and purchased an S1 (haven't unboxed it yet), and was considering purchasing 2 or 3 more S1's soon, I'd love to hear from SSL as to what the advantages would be of the UF8 over the S1?

I like the UF8 build quality (metal chassis), and I assume the fader quality is great. I like the shallower and lower footprint, not having a tablet obscure your view of other gear on your desk behind the control surface.

I don't like the UF8 placement of the mute/solo buttons (asinine IMO). Then of course there's the fact that it's MCU/HUI and not Eucon (no fault of SSL's obviously).

I could return my S1 and order 3 of the UF8's. Right now I'm undecided.

Slick unit and looks like the great build quality you'd expect from SSL.

If I had the bucks I'd be down for it for sure, Mr. T.

I've been using an S1 with Logic today, as part of the process of evaluating if I want to use Eucon, or go with UF8's.

With the S1, I just used a Netgear switch, and setup was instant with Eucon sofware and Logic, and the ipad app. Eucon seems much improved from a few years ago when I last used it. Also so much better than setting up the Nucleus, which was a pain for reasons already stated in this thread. Having additional characters on the scribble strips (with Eucon) is a must for me, and the build quality seems great (same as S3 was). The iPad is optional, but is nice to have... metering is on the scribble strips as well, same as UF8.

If there's any company that could pull off implementing another protocol (like Euphonix/Avid did with Eucon) and getting DAW makers to adopt it, it would be SSL. There's no other company that could likely pull it off.

I think SSL would benefit from ditching MCU and creating their own protocol to rival Eucon (keeping HUI as needed for PT). It's time to look forward instead of hanging on to the past with MCU.

I can see the UF8 being more appealing if you don't have the desk space for S1's, and don't want to use iPads. For people like me looking at multiple units however, it's pretty hard to match a couple of S1's and a Dock.