Schoeps 221b uses?

gearbot73

Staff member
Reaction score
I had the privilege of tracking in the studio with an amazing mic yesterday that I had previously never experienced, the Schoeps 221b. We used it principally on a cello, along with a vintage u87 as a “room” mic but still fairly close. The Schoeps was simply amazing, it really captured the richness of the cello in a way I previously hadn’t been able. So buttery and full, particularly the lows/ low mids. Another engineer commented: “It’s like presenting the sound on a velvet curtain”. The U87 helped to add some harmonic content and other detail to the sound. I was also amazed at how much the mic response would change with the smallest of placement changes. It seems you really have to spend the extra time to get the perfect placement, and when you do it is magic. So I’m curious if other people have experience with this mic and what other sources it typically excels on. I’m guessing acoustic guitar would be sick.

I'm guessing acoustic guitar would be great also with that. I've had a Schoeps on my radar for years. The 221b you used I think is probably from the '50s or '60s? From what I understand, there were 10 interchangable capsules made for the 221b.