Recording Vocals

soundloop

Administrator - Chairman of the Bored
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
soundloop.com
Post your vocal recording techniques here that you've found to be most successful, including recording chain, distance, and room/room treatment.

I've had good results with a Shure SM7b into a Avedis MA5 preamp. The SM7b is good because it's not going to pick up as much of the room as a condenser microphone would. It's easier for bedroom or home studio recording, as you can get good results that are more than usable.

I've been fairly satisfied recording Vocals with an Aston Spirit mic and an Aston Halo reflection filter. I get some great isolation and absorption from the
halo, (changing the depth of the mic changes the sound obviously) as well as some additional flavour from the room I'm recording in.
Though it works amazingly well with vocals, i find it very useful with acoustic guitars as well.
Ive got a pair of Warm Audio TB12/500's and an SPL Crimson interface.
I should add distance is variable.
I'm a strong proponent on experimenting.

I have a good chain but need to get a better recording! Can't seem to find the right booth setup for my room. Might have to pay for someone to come over and sort it out.

I have a good chain but need to get a better recording! Can't seem to find the right booth setup for my room. Might have to pay for someone to come over and sort it out.
What exactly do you feel is wrong with your recordings?

What exactly do you feel is wrong with your recordings?

There's a couple of frequencies that always need cutting out. I'm not sure if my expectations are too high (for a non optimal room) and that's often the case. Moving from the REDD to the M990 made a big (positive) difference.

I need to get my ceiling cloud installed. New years resolution #1! :robot::bangz:

I need some ceiling treatment also!

So far I have had great results sticking with a "less is more" approach. Take your time setting mic location in the room because what you perceive to be a fault in the room could easily be turned into bonus if you can find a way to use it to your advantage with minimal $$$ treatment!! THEN work with your artist in capturing their best performance once the artist has become familiar (with your assistance) in how best to deliver to the studio mic. They'll trust you more afterwards for this :)

Currently my go to is mic>BAE1073 with EQ OR a Manley Core > Atlas > Logic. I don't have any outboard compressors anymore. What I can achieve in the box now is staggering. I DO MISS the MOJO of my long gone UA 6176 though.

Distance to the mic is always determined after discussing what type of sound you are hoping to achieve. Have your artist bring in material they are inspired by and work to get something similar. You will then be able to select the effects the artist will require in the phones while delivering the performance. Most artists like to hear what is likely going to come out of the speakers on playback or in post.

All mics have their "un-happy" frequencies, so once you get use to your mics you'll automatically start cutting those back first, when required.

Might just be me but I like listening to old school dudes talk about how they set up to record. Keeping in mind that they would set up to go to tape and get that gooey awesome saturation, you can still benefit from reading and watching you tube vids.

Check out Warren Huart and there are some great vids on Andrew Scheps as well. Warren is half in the box and Andrew is 100% itb now.

Warren Huart on vocals -
Andrew Scheps ITB -

Thanks, will check these out! I don't compress on the way in either. I'm not pro though :D