Nearfield Monitor Isolation- MoPAD vs ProPAD vs Sand?

Which option would you choose to isolate Yamaha NS10m's on stands?

• Auralex MoPAD (nominal expenditure)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Auralex ProPAD (worth the upgrade from MoPAD?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gearbot73

Staff member
Reaction score
I am using NS10m's for monitoring. Currently they are sitting on a compacted 2" layer of sand that is wrapped tightly in plastic. That sand bag is on top of speaker stands. I'm questioning this setup and wondering if it would be a significant upgrade to move to the Auralex MoPAD instead of the sand layer. As well, is the upgrade to the Auralex ProPAD worth the extra dollar investment?

My vote is for the IsoAcoustics stands. Not on your list, but well worth checking out. I haven't used sand bags to compare, but am happy with the IsoAcoustics. DIY sandbags sound like there would be more risk of disaster if the plastic rips :eek:

IsoAcoustics

My vote is for the IsoAcoustics stands. Not on your list, but well worth checking out. I haven't used sand bags to compare, but am happy with the IsoAcoustics. DIY sandbags sound like there would be more risk of disaster if the plastic rips :eek:

IsoAcoustics
Yes, I use those too under my Adam A8X monitors. Quite happy with them. Although they don't correct room acoustics issues...which I've been delaying to address in my super tiny recording/mixing room.

This may be of interest to you:

http://ethanwiner.com/speaker_isolation.htm

Having said that I use ISO Acoustics under my KEF LS50s in the study and they make a difference due to the vibrating shelf they sit on. I use these sorborthane pads under my Kii Three's (using the official steel stands full of sand for them too):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042U8P9C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried some very expensive isolators (just for the crack) with the Kii Three's and there was no difference with these cheap sorborthene pads. As long as you have some kind of decoupling from anything that can resonate below the speaker you'll be fine. Called Kii and spoke to the tech guy about isolation and he said the same thing.

Since you're using stands, try some of these pads and the IsoAcoustics and see if you can hear a difference. I doubt you will (unless the stands are hollow or prone to resonate - then use the Isos).

Last edited:
I've never really A/B'd mine, but before I got them I was listening to the demo video for the ISO Acoustics. It was shot (I think) at Metalworks in Toronto. If I remember, it was a demo of with and without.

The difference was quite astounding, to me anyway. I was using the MoPADs before that.

I remember that video too, was one of the reasons I wanted to try them :¬)