List Your Hardware Synths

Squawk

Minor irritant. May cause a rash.
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what is everyone using for hardware? I'll start off.

Roland JD-XA
Roland JD-XI
Korg Kronos
Virus Ti2 (desktop)

All of these are cool and useful. I'm thinking of maybe selling the JD-Xi though, as I don't use it enough.

My stuff's all older and mainly ROMpler-based:

Novation Nova
Novation Supernova I rack
Roland INTEGRA-7
Roland JD-990
Roland TD-30 module
Yamaha Motif XS Racks
Yamaha VL-70m with Patchman ROM
Yamaha P-50m

The Nova and 2 x XS Racks will have to go to allow me to shoehorn my outputs into the long-overdue MOTU AVB-interface upgrade. Reducing total input count on interfaces from 72 to 64 as there's no equivalent to my trusty PCI-based MOTU 24I/Os (x 3). The AVB units will have 24 inputs each but no outputs, so 2 x 24Ai will be combined with a 16A, hence the 8-input shortfall of what I have now.

Sold my Roland JD-Xi the other day. Just didn't need both the Xi and the Xa. Strangely, the little XLR gooseneck condenser mic that was with the Xi does not work with the Xa. Not sure why. I plugged in a '57 and it was fine.

Strange.

At least you're still able to use the feature, Mr. T.

I had an Integra 7. It was pretty cool. I think I partially traded it in towards my Antelope Goliath.

Yeah, it was tough to part with my trusty XV-5080, which was fully-loaded with my favourite cards.

The INTEGRA is a lot fiddlier to edit IMHO. You can't, for instance, easily switch partials off and on and edit them en-masse as you could with the XV... and JV-10/2080 and JD for that matter. This makes a huge difference for me.

Then there's the lack of that 2nd MIDI input for 32-part functionality, something I miss, but figured from the outset that if I had to I'd obtain a 2nd unit.

Lastly, the fact that you can only load 4 of the 12 ROM cards at a time is a right PITA for me, and another reason to aim for a 2nd unit.

The sound, OTOH, is superb and practically-faultless IMHO. The SuperNatural synth patches are fat-and-in-your-face (if you need them to be), and there's definitely some mojo going on there.

All up, it's definitely one of the best, if not the best-sounding synth I've owned. The E-Synth Ultra, Wavestation SR and JD-990 are all in that rarified-air league IMHO. I miss the EMU, but at least I have the Korg Collection to cover the Wavestation.

I've been having a lot of fun building patches on the JD-XA. It's very hands on and immediate, which I like. I'm not a big fan of menu diving on synths. It tends to kill the creative flow.

Yeah, it was tough to part with my trusty XV-5080, which was fully-loaded with my favourite cards.

The INTEGRA is a lot fiddlier to edit IMHO. You can't, for instance, easily switch partials off and on and edit them en-masse as you could with the XV... and JV-10/2080 and JD for that matter. This makes a huge difference for me.

Then there's the lack of that 2nd MIDI input for 32-part functionality, something I miss, but figured from the outset that if I had to I'd obtain a 2nd unit.

Lastly, the fact that you can only load 4 of the 12 ROM cards at a time is a right PITA for me, and another reason to aim for a 2nd unit.

The sound, OTOH, is superb and practically-faultless IMHO. The SuperNatural synth patches are fat-and-in-your-face (if you need them to be), and there's definitely some mojo going on there.

All up, it's definitely one of the best, if not the best-sounding synth I've owned. The E-Synth Ultra, Wavestation SR and JD-990 are all in that rarified-air league IMHO. I miss the EMU, but at least I have the Korg Collection to cover the Wavestation.

The INTEGRA with V-Drums is really cool as well. Some great sounds.

Indeed, Mr. T!

I've organised, after years of saving, to finally get the 2nd INTEGRA I planned for since the day I bought the 1st when they were released.

Figured it was the only way to be able to use more than 4 ROM boards at a time, and was hoping Roland would allow a flash-RAM upgrade or something, but it is what it is.

So... another INTEGRA it is.

I sold my Kronos a while back. It was great, but just took up too much real estate, and I got a good price for it. I just find myself using VI libraries more, although it was a great workstation.

Right now I'm down to my JD-XA and Virus Ti2. I did demo a Moog Subsequent 37 recently though. It was niiiice!

I'm heading in the same direction, man.

Thanks to financial issues (my rent went up 30% this year!), I'll no longer be getting a 2nd INTEGRA-7. I'll still be selling the Nova and 2 x XS Racks, an POD X3 Pro, POD HD500, L6 Shortboard, Focusrite VoiceMaster Pro, MOTU PCIe-424 system (3 x 24 I/O), a MIDI Express 128 and I can't remember what else, but a lot of stuff.

Damned rent increase means I literally cannot save for gear anymore. :disagree: