Ableton Live Users - Tell me what you love most about it compared to other DAWs

Squawk

Minor irritant. May cause a rash.
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm primarily a Cubase, LPX and PT user, but have dabbled in Ableton Live before, and own a license. I admit that I have had a harder time bonding with it. Maybe it's the stripped down look of it, maybe it's that I didn't really get on with the linear window mode as much. This was a couple of versions ago, so I'm sure things have improved since then.

I can see the huge creative potential with Ableton, but for production work, feel that it was lacking in certain areas compared to Cubase and Logic, primarily on the MIDI side.

What do you love about it? And has it replaced other DAWs for you for production work, or are you switching back and forth between programs in your workflow?

Started with Live two years ago but just moved to Bitwig 2.2.2. BW was designed by the original creators of Live, so they've used that as a basis and added/changed what they thought was necessary.

I tried version 1 but wasn't sold. The latest (2.2.2) is excellent. The new modulators are insanely powerful (more so for electronic music) and I prefer the UI/layout. Simple things are easier too, such as plugin management and whatnot. Workflow is much better with it.

Reaper for mastering!

Hi b0se,

Do they have delay compensation sorted out on the latest version? If I remember, that was an issue when they first launched...

No problems so far. In fact I have more latency issues with Live than with BW.

(Audio lags way behind playback marker.)

If you've not tried since version 1 its worth looking at again. Matured a lot and is functionally more comprehensive.

To your original question though; all about sessions/clips. Such an intuitive (and easy) way to build a song from an idea.

For modern music creation it’s pretty hard to beat Live in my opinion. I wouldn’t know where to even start describing all of the creative tools Live has that other DAWs don’t. I feel like if you can imagine it, Live can execute it. In addition to that, the structure of Live allows for amazing “musical accidents” that can really be inspiring and useful.