Audio Examples 4 LDC Microphones Tested On Acoustic Guitar

Which Microphone Do You Prefer in this Example?

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

• C

• D

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Squawk

Minor irritant. May cause a rash.
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
image1.JPG

The Microphones + Preamps:

Wunder CM7 (Forssell SMP-500)
Slate VMS (U47 MKII/1073)
Blue Bottle B6 Capsule (Sonic Farm Creamer+)
Chandler REDD (Built in preamp)

Slight ambience added (Bricasti M7). No other processing. Files are not perfectly level matched (B is just a bit quieter), so please adjust accordingly if needed.

I see a couple people voted. What are your thoughts on these 4 clips? Would love to hear some opinions! :thinking: :smile:

Thanks for doing this! I really couldn't pick a favorite. Kind of bouncing between A and D. A 47-ish mic is not my preference for acoustic guitar but I found them all quite useable. None of them were as open as I like at the top end but them being mp3 files may have had an impact there but that's also the nature of the beast with the 47 family. I assume they are high bitrate!? SInce the Slate VMS is around $2500 less than the competitors in this challenge and would not be the difference between winning a Grammy or not, I think that's a strong testimonial to Slate and his group.

Thanks for doing this! I really couldn't pick a favorite. Kind of bouncing between A and D. A 47-ish mic is not my preference for acoustic guitar but I found them all quite useable. None of them were as open as I like at the top end but them being mp3 files may have had an impact there but that's also the nature of the beast with the 47 family. I assume they are high bitrate!? SInce the Slate VMS is around $2500 less than the competitors in this challenge and would not be the difference between winning a Grammy or not, I think that's a strong testimonial to Slate and his group.

Thanks for listening and commenting. They are indeed 320KBps Mp3 files. My choice is usually SDC on acoustic, but that's just my preference.

And for anyone following this, here are the microphones used in this test.

A = VMS
B = REDD
C = CM7
D = BLUE BOTTLE/B6