104 Question - Start from the foundation then moving up

GodlessDog

Reaction score
Eugene mentioned to build up from the bass/percussion as your foundation, then go all the way up to leads. He meant this only in the context of mixing & mastering, right?

For creation of a new track I'd go with starting from the melody then go from there wherever, no order is necessary. Amirite?

I can't speak for Eugene, but for writing a track, it all just depends on where your inspiration comes from. Sometimes it starts with a groove, sometimes a melody, sometimes a chord change or riff. There's no rules, you're right. No order is necessary!

In mixing, most times times you want to focus on the groove foundation first, usually start with drums/bass. Get that sounding right, then build from there. I suspect that's what he was talking about (I wasn't at the workshops, so just speaking generally here). :dude:

I should mention that another traditional (maybe less common) approach for mixing pop/rock (if the song is heavily vocal oriented) is to start with the vocals (being the key focus element of the song) and build the mix up around that (usually rythm next). No approach is really right or wrong however, it's all in what works best for you and your workflow to get the end results you want. :agree:

Sometimes I start with Percussion and Bass, sometimes piano and melody.
Depends on what I'm feeling.
Sometimes a lyric , and then the music

For mixing EDM, starting with drums / percussion and bass makes sense IMHO.

Get those elements out of the way as they're typically the highest-energy ones and also arguably the most-critical, being the rhythmic foundation in a rhythmic genre.