104 Question - big record companies just gate everything?

GodlessDog

Reaction score
Eugene mentioned "big record companies don't EQ or compress much, they just gate everything to make things more punchy" I assume he's using a bit of hyperbole but I'm gonna add a gate to my master track and see what happens. Any thoughts on gating everything?

Eugene mentioned "big record companies don't EQ or compress much, they just gate everything to make things more punchy" I assume he's using a bit of hyperbole but I'm gonna add a gate to my master track and see what happens. Any thoughts on gating everything?

It's not often someone throws a gate/expander on a master track but it is a known fact that alot of limiters and maximizers deploy extremely fast gate/expander algorithms specifically designed for complex program material.

Generally, you'd want to use gates and expanders to different degrees on various tracks to tighten up the sustain and allow more space for sustained elements with big tails like bass and reverbs...and ultimately to separate/detach and keep the elements that are meant to be up front.present without having to compress and kill the dynamics too much.

Gating and Expansion also will change the tone of the source material so really you're creating space plus tone shaping at the same time....doing this might save you the hassle of having to use additive or subtractive EQ, which changes the phase in a destructive manner, just as how compressors kill dynamics and modulate/distort if hit hard enough with improper release times.

Hope all this doesn't sound too technical! Just remember to ALWAYS use your ears and trust your gut!. . .