Yamaha NS10 - NS10m Horizontal vs Vertical - Comb Filtering

Do you use your Yamaha NS10m monitors Vertically or Horizontally?

• Total voters

gearbot73

Staff member
Reaction score
There seems to be a general consensus on the net that NS10's should be positioned roughly at ear level and with the tweeters to the outside. The writing on the front of my Yamaha NS10m's imply a vertical orientation, which make sense in terms of every other speaker I have monitored/ listened through. I know some models of NS10's have print on the face that imply a horizontal placement. Is it safe to say that Yamaha designed some models to be optimal in the vertical position and a slightly different design for some versions to work better horizontally? I ask this because I have never seen NS10's vertically positioned in a major studio before. There is the theory that they are placed horizontally in major studios as to not interfere sonically with other monitoring configurations. However, I have definitely seem them placed horizontally in studios where this is not the case. Are they positioned horizontally in studios as to reduce comb filtering from reflections off a large console? In other words, unfortunately since I don't own a console I should keep my NS10's vertical?

Just speculation on my part, but it probably just comes down to personal preference, as well as what height they are positioned at. If they are on top of a console and positioned above ear level, it's probably better to position horizontally to get the tweeter closer ear level. For some studios it could also be for easier line of sight for tracking.

My guess is it probably doesn't make that much of a difference, but I haven't used NS10's in probably 15 years. Look at Focal Twins for example, they are designed for horizontal profile/placement, with the tweeter centered.