Rupert Neve Designs (RND) Portico Series purchase advice

gearbot73

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a couple of RND Portico units off of eBay. They have the original design, and do not look the same as the current model for sale. Although I absolutely love them sonically, the very sparse markings on the faceplate make them quite tricky to use at times. The Portico EQ sections are very responsive so a small movement can make a large difference in sound. Matching a pair for stereo use on the mix bus is a challenge. As well, determining the frequency you are working on at a quick glance is not possible due to the lack of frequency numbers and non intuitive hash marks. Recall for future duplications is also a challenge. So my advice is this: if you are thinking about buying a Portico unit, try to find the modern faceplate version. Although not perfect, it certainly is a step up from the original version. Another option (if the price is right on an original Portico unit) is to purchase the faceplate kit available by contacting Rupert Neve Designs. I believe they cost around $100US per faceplate. I think the knob upgrade from plastic to metal is also part of that faceplate upgrade kit, which is a nice bonus too.