Modeling Microphones - Townsend Labs Sphere / SLATE VMS / Antelope EDGE

Which microphone do you prefer in this video?

• Antelope EDGE

• Townsend Labs Sphere

• They both are great

• The TLM 103 is better than either one

Results are only viewable after voting.

Squawk

Minor irritant. May cause a rash.
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Slate VMS here, and have used it on occassion. However, I just found this video of the Townsend and Antelope offerings.

I thought the Townsend Labs Sphere has a much smoother top end in these examples. The Antelope is a bit edgy (no pun intended), and has a grainier top end to me.

What do you guys think?

I can't make these sorts of judgements on my CrapMac™ mono speaker, Mr. T, but from everything I've read the high end is super-sweet and defined on the VMS' LDC mic. Surely you're happy with it, man?

I've had one held at the vendor for 18 months for me as I've no need for a mic yet, but I can't see myself changing my mind about it, especially as the Slate plugs are designed to work with it.

I'm not unhappy with the Slate VMS, but there's certainly some advantages with the Townsend Labs system. It's dual capsule design, which allows for polar patterns other than cardioid for starters, and allows for stereo recording, figure 8, etc. You can also play with proximity effect in post, which is kind of interesting.

On that video, I'm hearing a sweeter top end on the Townsend vs. the Antelope. I have no way of telling how either compares to the same microphones modeled with VMS.

On a related note, I just picked up an Antelope "Verge" SDC mic today. The mic models aren't yet available for the Goliath, but I picked it up to use with the Audio Sprockets Tonedexter (which I'm going to start another thread about). I did run it through the Slate VMS models though, but it doesn't mean a whole lot, since those are LDC models.

When I get the Slate ML-2, I'll be able to test both the Slate SDC and the Antelope through the same microphone emulations. That should be interesting!

Just a follow up to this, the Townsend Labs Sphere is head and shoulders above the Slate VMS, as well as the Verge system, IMO after using all three.