Dollar for dollar, what are the overrated synths or synthesizer modules?

ringmod

Staff member
Reaction score
What synths do you feel are overrated in relation to their generally accepted price points? Include why you feel it is overvalued for its current market monetary worth. The synthesizer or synth module can be from any era, anything from vintage to modern. As well, it can be analog, digital, or a hybrid of both. Don't select an overrated synth based on its original purchase price. I'm talking about synths evaluated roughly at their current average market value.

I'll start things off with my pick, the Electronic Dream Plant (EDP) Gnat. No doubt, this is a funky looking little synth and it sounds great too. BUT the rarity and collectable aspects of this synthesizer make it overrated. It has a single digital oscillator and a limited range played on a terribly flat "touch sensitive" mini keyed board. It would be fun to have but not at the crazy prices they fetch these days.

I'm going to say Virus for this one also, but only because it gets slagged a lot, and someone else is bound to list it!

Tough one for me 'cause I invariably lean towards remembering only the good things about synths I've owned. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, I s'pose.

That said, I reckon the JV-1080 got way too much love back in the day. The 2080 was orders of magnitude easier to edit and had 8 separate outputs, making it the ideal ROMpler of its time. My guess is that the 1080 enjoyed a surge in popularity mainly because so many folks were simply using it for preset playback, given its decent library. I could never understand why so many big-name artists, who could easily have afforded the 2080, big-noted the more-fiddly-to-use unit. These endorsements no doubt fuelled the legend that was the 1080.