Audio Examples Microphone Shootouts - Acoustic Guitar. Blue Bottle / VMS / Wunder CM7

Which two audio clips do you think are the VMS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Squawk

Minor irritant. May cause a rash.
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a quick microphone shootout with 3 mics on acoustic guitar. All were recording the same performance. Capsules were aligned as close as possible. There's always variables in terms of mic placement with a shootout like this with multiple mics, so definitely consider this test "unscientific". I almost always use SDC's on acoustic guitar (or SDC/LDC combo), so probably wouldn't end up using any of these for this application, but it's interesting to hear the differences in this test.

Preamps used were 2 x Forssell SMP-500, and the Slate VMS preamp (1073 model).

The microphones recorded in this test are:

Wunder Audio CM7 (U47 type) (LDC cardioid)
Slate VMS (FG-U47 MKII, and FG-12 models, cardioid, 125% intensity)
Blue Bottle with B5 capsule (LDC "presence" Omni)

Guitar is a Larrivée. Strings are fairly new, so a bit on the brighter side.

Files were recorded about 12" from the 12-14th fret on axis. I used a bit of FabFilter Pro L-2 on the master fader. 2nd set of files (x) is printed slightly hotter, if you find the first set too quiet to listen to). Slight room ambience from a Bricasti M7.

THE AUDIO FILES:

Please have a listen on good headphones or monitors.

(same files, printed hotter)

Please take a quick vote once you listen. Also, please reply here with which one you liked the best out of the 4 clips.

Keep in mind this is all unscientific. I'm just interested in hearing which clip people preferred.

Thanks! :agree:

I preferred A here, sounded more open and authentic, the top end came through more realistically, more like the guitar would have sounded in the room.

I preferred A here, sounded more open and authentic, the top end came through more realistically, more like the guitar would have sounded in the room.

Thanks for the reply, and for voting!

Here are the microphones used in this test. Thanks for listening and voting!

AG1-A = BLUE BOTTLE B5
AG1-B = Wunder CM7
AG1-C = VMS U47II
AG1-D = VMS FG12

Yes, so that was the Blue Bottle B5. I did see your question over on GS. The B5 is totally different from the 47, so it's not at all a scientific test in any way. :robot: But it at least gives an idea of the characteristics of the different microphones.

I personally love the Bottle! For acoustic, I've had great success using the Bottle/B5 combined with a SDC, primarily a Telefunken ELAM 260. The 260's are primarily what I use on acoustic guitars.

We've used the Bottle on Cello, and of course vocals. It's my favorite all-rounder microphone, and the most flexible with the different capsule options. The B6 is usually really good on female vocals. B7 is their take on a U47 M7 capsule, and the B0 is the other one often used on vocals. Apparently you can use the old Neumann Bottle mic caps on them as well (with an adaptor), but I don't have any, so haven't tested that.