Audio Examples The Ultimate Rap Vocal Hardware Compressor Shootout - Part 2: RETRO 176 Limiting Amplifier

Squawk

Minor irritant. May cause a rash.
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next up, we'll be taking a listen to the RETRO 176 Limiting Amplifier. This thing is a beast! Based on the original UA 176, which most of us have never had, and will never have hands on experience with.

You can CLICK HERE to read more on it from RETRO, but let's just sum it up and say that this thing is extremely versatile. It's a Vari-Mu tube design, and is capable of 2:1 - 12:1 ratios. What makes this unit interesting though is the Asymmetry tool, and the "Interstage Transformer" switch. Both of which allow a variety of tones and options. The other great feature on this unit is the built in side chain HPF feature with a range up to 2.2kHz, so you can keep your low end unmolested. From what I understand of the Asymmetry tool, it allows the unit to react to the full waveform, or either the + or - side of the waveform. Yeah, sounds like voodoo. But it's pretty cool, and you can hear the differences on the right sources.

Ok, I'm not here to write a crappy review of the damn thing, so let's get to it!

This time, I'm starting with verse 2, as there was some high end sizzle in the track being brought out on the LA-2A clips. b0se sent me a new recording of the verse, so let's see how this one does. I'm not going to go through every option at every level, as there are so many variables with this unit. Instead, I'll go through most of the options at levels I feel are reasonable, more or less matching the raw/bypassed track volume level.

VERSE 2: (settings as pictured):

b0se-V2-176-1.jpg

b0se-V2-176-2.jpg

b0se-V2-176-3.jpg

(stay tuned - more clips to follow later)

Last edited:
VERSE 1:

Last edited:
Wow, that has some flavour - dense!

Some pumping on the fast verse.

Hi b0se,

I'll run through some more precise attack and release ratios for V2 on the weekend. I did these last three units fairly quickly before taking off for the holidays.

:controls::controls:

Hi b0se,

I'll run through some more precise attack and release ratios for V2 on the weekend. I did these last three units fairly quickly before taking off for the holidays.

:controls::controls:

Thanks, look forward to hearing them.

Thank u so much for posting bro.I will check this later.

Hey guys, sorry things have gotten a bit hectic lately! I promise I'll get back to the next round of this soon!